Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Wedding Roller Coaster





Picture explanations
Top: Jessica and Adam getting frisky at the reception.
Second: Jessica and Addie with one of the pilfered cake grapes (ummmm sugary goodness)
Third: Eugene and I kissing (or hugging) Look at Owen on the left in the tux...he didn't want to see and "disgusting kissing..."
Fourth: One of the nice shots...it was nice and green there.
Last: I am lecturing Adam and Jessica about the impropriety of picture one...(tee hee )
We planned on going to Milwaukee for last minute wedding things on Wednesday. I found great roses at $7.49 a dozen and we picked up some jordan almonds. However, the "getting" to Milwaukee was a little problematic. All day Monday and Tuesday, my left leg was killing me. I thought I had a bad charlie horse, which is pretty common in pregnancy. No biggie.

Wednesday morning, before we planned to leave for Milwaukee, I realized my lower leg was red and swollen. Eugene insisted I call the dr., which I did and left a message. While in the car, en route, I get a call from the nurse. "Go to the nearest ER." "Huh? I'm on my way to Milwaukee, we have wedding stuff to do." "Well, we are pretty sure you have a blood clot in your leg, and if it moves, it could kill you, so go to the ER." It seemed to be a convincing argument to me, so we turned around and headed back to Rapids (we weren't FAR out of town).

While waiting in the lab, we run into my aunt and uncle (small town) and after the test was run, I thought it would all be okay, and we could be on our way. I get a call from my dr. "The test is positive, you have a blood clot. You are probably going to be going into the hospital for a few days..." "No I'm not. I'm getting married on Friday, and I think I need to be there." So I get sent to the ultrasound lab and they scan my leg. I did have a clot, but it must have dissolved (which would explain the feeling that my calf muscle was being ripped off my leg.)

All in all, we found out I can no longer fly (we had to go to Minneapolis for a honeymoon....) I am at an increased risk for developing another one while pregnant, and I get to wear support stockings. (Hellooo Retirement! Seriously, we might as well pack up and move to Boca....I actually was wearing support stockings with shorts. Yes, I was at home, in private, but once the slide has started....)

The wedding itself went off well. The two ring bearers (both 4) were allowed to carry the actual rings, which were then examined, removed from their boxes, looked at, and fortunately not lost. Everyone walked down the aisle too quick (I think we only made it to 1/2 way through "In My Life" and we were all up there. But the weather and location were fantastic. It was perfect. The food was great, the cake, divine. My niece and I did all the flowers (9 boutoneeres, my bouquet, and both bridesmaids' flowers) in under an hour. Some roses, baby's breath, and hostas to add flair. They looked pretty good actually. Steph's mom was teasing me for getting the flowers done 1 hour before the ceremony. But they were cheap and looked good. Also, although you can't really see it, Steph did an outstanding job getting me into the dress. It was a feat of both skill and engineering. She really was the "maid of honor extraordinaire" she claims to be. I highly recommend her services to any future brides.

Lots of family and friends were able to attend. My dad's brother and sisters live all over and it was the first time in 13 years they were all together (the last time being my grandpa's funeral.) Even though we kept it a small wedding (about 120 people max) it was hard to talk to everyone, which I really do feel bad about. I tried...

As Eugene is deciding whether to change his name or not, I am still officially an "Engwall". Overall, being married feels no different. The weird thing is when someone asks me about "my husband" I have to think a minute...my brain tries to process it..."husband? and that would be....?" Before it clicks..."Oh, Eugene. Yes. We're married." I keep thinking of the Seinfeld episode with the woman and her "fiance". Pretty soon, we are going to have to have people come over to "see the baby".

And Jessica, I do have more pictures that I got printed out and will be sending you along with the yarn I forgot to give you....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww

Anonymous said...

you have some sexy folks at your wedding! Who's the momma with the low cut top? Is she related or a friend? And how about the guy with the powerfull facial hair? That stallion is about the sexiest man I've seen since Bruce Campbell!

Anonymous said...

Im not sayin nothin, im just saying that kiss, with the thick strong tree in the back ground... that's symbolism baby, thats powerful love. love made to last, like the sweet maple tree.

Anonymous said...

We DID have some sexy folks at our wedding... Everyone was commenting about that hot chick about to "go wild" and how did the guy with her get sooo lucky? :)

See? I DO check...Mr. Campbell...

As for the maple tree, we were doing our "give me some sugar" pose....

Anonymous said...

It was a nice day for a white wedding, and as for how that blok got so lucky? alcohol and hypnosis.
and wookie like playtime.
I was glad to see the wit about Bruce, underrated chap. I would love to hear if he wrote back to you. Next time I see him at the bar I will tell him about you.