Monday, July 30, 2007

Nothin' left to give....

So I had my one hour glucose test on Tuesday. I fasted all night and did everything the doctor told me to do. I go in at 8am and drink this nasty orange crap that had a definite cheap gin/ cheap tonic aftertaste. Bleeeech! Wait around an hour and have blood drawn. Go back for my checkup and the baby is all good and really active....

Get a callback and I failed the 1 hour by a few points, which meant I had to do the three hour glucose tolerance test. For some odd reason, this glucose tasted MUCH better...alot more sweet. But then I got really shaky and I had to lay down. I got blood pulled 5 times over the course of three hours.

For those of you that don't know. I hate needles. I used to cry lots. I'd flail and gnash my teeth. 2 year olds behaved better them I did. But them I got sepsis, and after a 10 days of icky blood draws almost constnatly, I got somewhat used to the idea. Then I had my miscarriage, and that was an epic disaster of blood draws and failure to get IVs going. I am conditioned to blood tests now. I don't like 'em, but I can tolerate them.

After the three hour test, I went to work. However, my left leg kept bothering me and started to hurt really bad. Due to the blood clot issue in June before the wedding, I got sent back to the hospital for another blood test. Sigh! I'm not even sure they got blood. I think there is nothing left. So I'm still waiting on the labs.... Update. It's positive....again

At this point, the bets are on if I make it to the Halloween delivery date. I'm putting cash money on early delivery.

Any takers?

Oh, and another update, the three hour glucose came back and I'm all good. HOWEVER, my doctor thinks the numbers are "a little on the high side" and he's worried about me having a big baby. Considering I was almost 9 pounds, and all my grandma's kids were 9-11 pounders, he asked me what I would like to do. Plus diabetes is rampant on both sides of the family, so I figured what the heck. As insurance will cover the nutritionist, why not take advantge of it?

Plus, then I have a medical reason to take frequent breaks.... Some would see this as a hassle, I see it as a golden opportunity! I know I haven't been eating as well as I should be (It's been crazy between the work and the wedding), but from what I can gather, I may be eating way too much fruit and juices. Not that the two can a day pepsi helps. (But it is caffiene free). It seems as though I am not getting enough carbs. I eat lots of meat and fruit, but anything in the starch family has been off putting. So it will be interesting to see what they say.

On the plus side, my doctor was very happy that I asked for the referral, and I even asked for a follow up 3 hour test, well, I'm sure you all know the reason why... :)

No comments: