Saturday, June 9, 2007

The bowling ball

Well, there's no doubt about it. I had a little belly before. Now I have a big belly. I mean, it gets in the way of things, but it has become a handy little shelf...it can hold snack size candy bars, small books, and is a very good arm rest.

On the "not sure I should be scared to death" side, I got a call from my doctor and they want to do another ultrasound in July. This would make 3. 1 for the spottting in March (7 weeks) the one I just had, and now one in July. As to be expected, I immediately overanalyzed why I would need a second ultrasound. I had settled on "baby has no face" but later revised it to "baby has cleft lip and palate". So I called my doctor and he said the pictures were not as clear as he would like, so he's sending me for another one.

Is it because I have kick ass insurance that covers everthing? Maybe.

Is it because he knows I am a paranoid basketcase? Quite possibly.

So on July 9, I get to have another ultrasound, and I'm worried. I don't know of anyone else that had two in the second trimester....and he wants to wait because the baby will be more developed by that time. What is he looking for??

At least if it were something like cleft lip or palate, it can be fixed. Although I would prefer for that not to be the case, it is treatable. Spinal bifida, Downs....can't be fixed. I told Eugene "How about an extra toe? I could live with an extra toe...."

Of course, hopefully, I am worrying over nothing....

As for the belly, I am having serious dress fitting now. I mean there has been noticeable rounding since last week. I will try to get a picture today. Regardless, I am wondering how comfortable I will even be in the dress. It was snug last week, I think I will get some Spanx nylons and hope for the best. If I had am empire dress with less structure, I wouldn't have a problem, but this dress has a lot of structure built it. It was meant to look nice, not feel nice.....ARRRGH!

Anyways, in terms of size, I am now 140. Yes, I know, I probably have loads of sympathy coming in from around the world, but these numbers are uncharted territory for me. I've been eating pretty well, but I wanted to try to stay around the 150 - 155 mark. I think I've been indulging in empty calories....time to eat more fruit and dairy...(at least then it would be good weight)

Eugene said it best, it looks like I am trying to smuggle a bowling ball in somewhere. And unlike my previous jiggly belly, this one is solid. I still find it odd to think there is a little person in there, even though I did feel him somersault on Thursday....he either likes Usher ALOT, or he really dislikes him...judging by the kicks...

1 comment:

Jess P. said...

I had 2 ultrasounds in the 2nd trimester with Lily and I know a lot of people who do. It's really not that uncommon. Doctors live and die by the ultrasounds, even though they lie.